THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT: PATIENT PRIVACY NOTICE
This Notice explains how we obtain, use and disclose your personal information, in accordance with the requirements of the Protection of Personal Information Act (“POPIA”). At COR Concepts (and including this website, POPIAct-Compliance) we are committed to protecting your privacy and to ensure that your personal information is collected and used properly, lawfully and transparently.
About the Company
Coastal Orthopaedics Group
The information we collect
We collect and process your personal information, and medical history mainly to contact you and to liaise with other medical bodies (Medical Aids ad Hospitals) to delivering services accordingly. For this purpose we will collect contact details including your name, address, medical aid details and medical history
We collect information directly from you where you provide us with your personal details. Where possible, we will inform you what information you are required to provide to us and what information is optional.
Website usage information may be collected using “cookies” which allows us to collect standard internet visitor usage information.
How we use your information
We will use your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and agreed with you. In addition, where necessary your information may be retained for legal or research purposes.
• To gather contact information;
• To confirm and verify your identity or to verify your medical particulars and correspond with your medical aid, x-ray departments, referring doctors, and other medical professionals
• For the detection and prevention of fraud, crime, medical malpractice or other malpractice;
• To conduct market or patient satisfaction research or for statistical analysis;
• For audit and record-keeping purposes;
• In connection with legal proceedings.
Disclosure of information
We may disclose your personal information to our service providers who are involved in the delivery of medical or other services to you. We have agreements in place to ensure that they comply with the privacy requirements as required by the Protection of Personal Information Act.
We may also disclose your information:
• Where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes;
• Where we believe it is necessary to protect our rights.
We are legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the personal information we hold and to stop unauthorized access and use of personal information. We will, on an ongoing basis, continue to review our security controls and related processes to ensure that your personal information remains secure. Our security policies and procedures cover:
• Physical security;
• Computer and network security;
• Access to personal information;
• Secure communications;
• Security in contracting out activities or functions;
• Retention and disposal of information;
• Acceptable usage of personal information;
• Governance and regulatory issues;
• Monitoring access and usage of private information;
• Investigating and reacting to security incidents.
When we contract with third parties, we impose appropriate security, privacy and confidentiality obligations on them to ensure that personal information that we remain responsible for, is kept secure.
We will ensure that anyone to whom we pass your personal information agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as we are obliged to.
Your Rights: Access to information
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. To do this, simply contact us at the numbers/addresses as provided on our website and specify what information you require. We will need a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information.
Correction of your information
You have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information. We will require a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before making changes to personal information we may hold about you. We would appreciate it if you would keep your personal information accurate.
Definition of personal information
According to the Act ‘‘personal information’’ means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person. Further to the POPI Act, COR Concepts also includes the following items as personal information:
• All addresses including residential, postal and email addresses.
• Change of name – for which we require copies of the marriage certificate or official change of name document issued by the state department.
How to contact us
If you have any queries about this notice; you need further information about our privacy practices; wish to withdraw consent; exercise preferences or access or correct your personal information, please contact us at the numbers/addresses listed on our website